Re: Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?

Subject: Re: Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?
From: "Lutey Amanda L" <LuteyAmandaL -at- JohnDeere -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:37:36 -0500

>From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:17:37 -0600

<snip>

>1. Do you (the average List member) go to conferences regularly?

Last year's STC conference in Chicago was my first.

>2. Do you only go if your company foots the bill?
I'm the only STC member in my department, and I pay for my own membership.
The company covered hotel and conference registration costs.
I live about three hours from Chicago, so transportation costs weren't too
bad. I took the bus.

>3. Is it a tough sell to get your company to give you A) the time off and
B) the money (if applicable)?

No problem getting the time off. We have to set 5 performance goals and 3
development goals a year, and I worked attending the conference into one of
them.

>4. Do you go for your interest in specific topics? Or for the networking
>opportunity? (This answer might be best given in a proportion/percentage)

I'd say 70% topic/30 networking.

>5. Are the topics well-chosen?

In some sessions, I struggled to find a topic that interested me or was
applicable to my job. In other sessions, I had to pick from about five.

>6. Are there major and obvious gaps, where subjects that should be
>addressed are glaringly absent?

There were topics for free-lance writers, topics for Scientific
communication, and many topic related to software-type documentation. What
about a few topics geared more toward those of in a manufacturing
environment. Or are we too small a niche?

>7. Are the topics explored to the correct depth, given time constraints,
>audience demographics, etc.?

Some of the topics were very well done. A few sessions were worthless.

>8. Overall, do you find such conferences worthwhile?

Over half of the sessions I attended were great, and I got to meet a lot of
nice people. So...yes.

>And a final, more brass-tacks question, applicable if your company pays
>your expenses:

9. Would you spend your own money to attend?

Maybe. Not this year though, I'm in money-hoarding mode as I may not have a
job after August.

-Amanda Lutey