RE: Minutia(e)?

Subject: RE: Minutia(e)?
From: Barbara Yanez <BarbaraYanez -at- cogentsystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:06:41 -0700

Hey Stan

THanks - I think you are right, except for on one "point." (no pun
intended). There are all types of minutiae on a fingerprint (pores,
ridgology, (sp?) etc.) but these are not generally used for identification.
A "point" on the other hand, is a specific type of minutiae that is
significant for identification. So that "minutiae point" and "minutiae" are
not the same thing, as the former indicates that it is the type of minutiae
that is significant for identification, the latter indicates that it is just
some type of detail on a print.

{By the way, there is a difference between a "point" and a "marker." The
"point" is the biology aspect - a bifurcation, a ridge ending etc.; a "
marker" is the thing that is plotted, either by a print examiner or by the
computer, for searching purposes. If there were no such thing as computers
or database searching, there would be no discussio of "markers." On tenprint
cards, the two (points, markers) happen to coincide, 99% of the time, since
tenprint cards are usually clear and complete. For latents, however, they
rarely coincide. "Markers" must be plotted where an examiner or the computer
thinks a "point" exists.}

At any rate, I think I am going to simplify my life and use "marker" or
"point" by itself, provided that in the context of the documents, it is
clear. I have to look. If I can't, I will go with using the singular form,
as you and others have suggested.

Cheers - and thanks. This has been a tremendous help to me.

Barbara

<snip>
No matter who or how many use the term, it is redundant unless there
are other kinds of points or markers being discussed within context
of the subject.

Learned folks can still be heard to ask, "Where is it at," when they
want some indication of the location.

It occurs to me that could happen if latent prints are being taken
from a product with the same name.
"Larry, plot the minuta markers that were taken from the cap of the
Magic (tm) marker." I think this would be a rare case.

Here, you are drawing distinction between points and markers. Minutae
are inclusive. They include points and markers. If there are no other
kind of points or markers, the modifier is redundant.