Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?

Subject: Re: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?
From: kate -at- kathleen -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:9:59

Andrew wrote:
> Chaos gets a really bad rap in many circles, and that is
> unfortunate. Chaos can be a very good thing. Chaotic
> environments can be very creative. Generally new things
> come from chaos, not from order.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's important to recognize the
strengths of both chaos and order: chaos can be inspiring
and can yield unpredictable results, which can be a good
thing; order can be efficient and can yield predictable
results, which can be a good thing.

> Hackos book contains a lot of interesting ideas that are
> more like goals that anything really usable. I have seen
> at least a dozen or more tech pubs organizations strive
> very hard to implement a lot of her ideas only to have
> their organization torn to shreads by layoffs or corporate
> restructuring, once again plunging those people back into
> chaos.

True, but the value of the approach depends on the
environment. In an organization with little face-to-face
communication and a lot of hands in the pie, that kind of
planning and documented signoff becomes pretty important.

> I would rewrite Confucius wisdom for writers to be:
> > "By three methods we may learn technical writing: First by
> education, which is noblest; second by methodology, which
> is easiest; and third by planting your butt in a chair and
> pecking out the damn document, which is the bitterest." -
> Andrew Plato, raging dweeb.

I love it. :-)

- Kate O'