RE: TOOLS: Dreamweaver crashes

Subject: RE: TOOLS: Dreamweaver crashes
From: "Rebecca Downey" <rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:15:16 -0400

Good morning.

A few things to try:
1. Open Dreamweaver 4.0
2. On the Site Menu (to open, Windows->Site Files from the big editing
window), go to Site->Recreate site cache.

If that doesn't solve your problem.
1. With Dreamweaver Closed, open Windows Explorer and find the site cache
files in
C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 4\Configuration\SiteCache
or somewhere similar.
2. Delete them.

When you start Dreamweaver again, it will recreate all the caches.

If that doesn't solve your problem.
- If you have any large sites (1000+ pages) try breaking them into
sub-sites.
- Validate the HTML and Java in the file you were working on in another
program (like Homesite). - Verify none of its graphics are corrupt by
opening each one in a graphic editor and resaving it.

You are using the most recent copy of Dreamweaver, so I can't see that being
a problem; and your computer is more than capable for what you're trying to
do.

Have you looked at:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/windows_issues.ht
m ?

It's their General Windows troubleshooting Technote. I find it to be very
helpful when trying to debug Dreamweaver/Windows problems.

Do you have virus-checking software on your computer? When was the last time
it was updated? Does Dreamweaver crash when all your system-tray icons are
closed (no anti-virus, no screen saver, etc)?

Do you have any non-Macromedia sanctioned plug-ins installed in Dreamweaver?
They can sometimes cause erratic behavior in Dreamweaver, but I've never
heard of one crashing the system.

That's everything I can think of. I hope some of this helps.
Rebecca Downey Senior Technical Writer
ITG:NBM Matrox Electronic System
1055 St Regis, Dorval, Quebec, H9P 2T4