RE: Why don't technical writer's do case studies?

Subject: RE: Why don't technical writer's do case studies?
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:45:28 +0200

I really like the concept Rich proposes:

<<case studies could provide practical help in avoiding
mistakes. I think I will start documenting my own case studies and here is
a start...Wouldn't it be great if every techwriter subscribed to techwr-L
would
contribute entries to such a database? What would it take up to setup an
entry form? \we need to study our trainwrecks. 5,000 people contributing to
such a file -- boggles the mind.>>

I think this embodies two very powerful and positive ideas:

---1) Examining the origins of our successes and failures helps us prepare
for the next round
---2) Sharing our experiences and knowledge help us all move forward
together faster

In many ways the internet and this list already realise these ideas - but
before I start waxing poetic about the highest human evolution manifesting
itself in the internet, I'll get on with my point -

I think that following this list is already a great aid in learning from the
mistakes and successes of others, but what I think Rich is proposing is a
more organised approach. If such a database existed, it would certainly be
invaluable. We just need someone willing to take on such a project.

I'll add my own entry:

keep all comments made by reviewers in an archive at least until the
document has been officially released. Also, whenever you make significant
changes to your own document involving deleting or rewriting, save the old
version. (I personally get into these maniacal "organisation time" moods
where I have this compulsive urge to thow out everything I think I might not
need. I learned this particular lesson the hard way more times than I care
to admit).

Jennifer