Re: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?

Subject: Re: charging for the "commuting" part of telecommuting?
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:12:12 +1000

Becca Price wants help deciding how to be compensated for driving time to a distant client.

You should either build into your hourly rate enough money to cover that 10+ hours without making a separate charge (or have you already agreed on an hourly rate?), or get an agreement from the client about just what they will pay (mileage, time, or both). Some things to consider: How often do you think you'll have to make this trip? What percentage of time is that compared to your at-work-at-your-desk time? How much more per "work" hour would you need to compensate for the driving time?

If you can't resolve the payment issue to your satisfaction, perhaps you can spend some productive time on the job even when driving (though that would be harder if you're the driver rather than a passenger) and therefore could charge for at least part of that time with a clear conscience. I often manage to work out solutions to problems in my head when my body is otherwise occupied (in fact, some of my best solutions come to me then, not when I'm sitting at my computer staring at the screen).

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/