RE: Re(3): Font Selection Methodology

Subject: RE: Re(3): Font Selection Methodology
From: "Andrew Broman" <broman -at- acm -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:16:03 -0700

>Yes. You see, "sans-serif" is a name, not a definition. Put very briefly,
>sans-serif typefaces have:
>- no serifs
>- strokes of uniform widths (with a few exceptions)
>
>Serif faces have:
>- serifs
>- strokes of non-uniform widths

I'm certainly no typography expert, either, but I've done some reading, and
I've always seen "sans serif" used as a very literal descriptive name. The
definition that you've given doesn't seem to be completely standard; in
fact, I've never seen the second requirement (uniform-width strokes) in any
of the texts I've read on typography. Could you tell me what your source for
this is?

Alexander Lawson, who is most definitely a typography expert, clearly refers
to Optima as a sans-serif font in his book _Anatomy of a Typeface_.

Andrew Broman
broman -at- acm -dot- org