Time to perfom a procedure?

Subject: Time to perfom a procedure?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:43:34 -0400

John Posada reports: <<I'm working on a document describing how to perform a
process. The process is completed in about 6 phases. While the phases don't
have to be performed in a single sitting, it is strongly advised that they
are since the process doesn't work until all phases are complete and must
definitely be followed in sequence.>>

I always start such documentation with an explanation of what "phases" need
to be done and in what order (high-level overview). If they can't interrupt
the process and still succeed, I make it clear that this is the case; later
in your message you wondered about whether it's appropriate to list the time
requirement, and if they shouldn't stop, I consider the time warning
crucial. I've written text similar to the following: "You must continue from
the beginning of the procedure to the end without stopping. This typically
takes about 30 minutes, so make sure you have sufficient time to devote
to...."

I'm usually generous with the time so that even if the person goes more
slowly than I do, they'll still finish in less time than I indicated. This
way, they're pleasantly surprised that they finished quicker than expected
rather than annoyed that it took longer than I promised. This has the
additional benefit of making sure that if they're interrupted briefly (e.g.,
spilled coffee), they can still finish in the alloted time.

Where the user can stop midway, but must continue carefully from the point
at which they left off, the time requirement is less important, but still
useful. That being the case, I'll mention the time in passing, but spend
more effort on providing clear warnings about what the user must do to be
sure they start the next phase correctly (e.g., write down the status code
displayed beside "progress indicator" before stopping for the day, carefully
highlight the next step you must do).

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

Hofstadter's Law--"The time and effort required to complete a project are
always more than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's
Law."