Anyone using Wiki for collaboration?

Subject: Anyone using Wiki for collaboration?
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 15 Apr 2002 18:06:03 -0400

Hello listers! I've just started using a Wiki for collaboration and
communication in my office. I'm curious to know if anyone on Techwr-l
also uses a Wiki internally at their company.

For those who haven't heard of Wikis, you should check this out! A Wiki
is a web tool used for collaboration, documentation,
knowledgebase-building, and whatever else you can think to put into it.
The name is derived from a Hawaiian phrase, Wiki Wiki, which means
quick. There is one guiding principle in Wikis, no matter what the other
features may be -- anyone can edit any page on the web. This eliminates
the "one webmaster" syndrome where a web site (especially an intranet)
suffers from a choke point at the webmaster.

Wikis are growing in popularity among the Open Source software
community, especially among advocates of Extreme Programming (XP). They
are part web-site, bulletin board, and mail list.

TWiki is my Wiki tool of choice: http://twiki.org/
The original Wiki: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

-----

To those experienced with Wikis, how do you use them at your company?
I'm looking for ideas. Here are my plans:

* Documentation repository for project docs
If you're writing project-related docs,
then their home will be in the Wiki. For
example, we'll store the release plans
on the Wiki.

* Technical support knowledge forum. Because
publishing to a Wiki is open to anyone and
because there's almost no overhead in
writing something up, I want to encourage
our tech support folks to use the Wiki.

* Competitive information forum. Lots of
people in different positions in the company
have different viewpoints on the competition.
The Wiki can be a way to share that information.

* Links repository. Industry-interest, news,
and other links of interest to the folks
at work can be encouraged in the Wiki.

Meg

--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
-- Timothy Leary