Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: Kevin Kirton <kevin -at- k-tecs -dot- co -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:45:31 +0900

(About font readability) Dick Margulis wrote:

> The determining factor in the process you are talking about is the
> relationship among x-height, ascender height, and descender height, not the
> presense of absence of serifs.

As a relative newcomer, I find this fascinating. I first read about the
alleged superiority of serif fonts in one of David Ogilvy's books on
advertising. He strongly suggested using serif fonts. He even claimed - if I
recall correctly - that there was "scientific evidence" that serif fonts
were easier to read.

Surely the presence or absence of serifs must have some effect on
readability. And that must have been measured objectively by someone
somewhere. Anyone know?

Kevin Kirton
Kyoto, Japan