RE: Experiences with XP?

Subject: RE: Experiences with XP?
From: "Nuckols, Carl" <Carl -dot- Nuckols -at- na -dot- biomerieux -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:03:42 -0400

Tom Herme asked:

>Does anyone have experience in working with XP software development teams?

Hey Tom,

I've spent the last 2 years working with an XP development team and really
like it. I must admit that it seemed a bit disorganized at first and
sitting in the open environment was a bit odd, but I got accustomed to it
pretty quickly.

The two keys seem to be:

First, really become a part of the team. I sit in the open environment with
them and have really gained a lot from it. Not only do I find it easier to
get answers to questions, but I am able to have much more influence on the
design/usability of the application (my input is actually requested).

Second, and perhaps most importantly, learn the acceptance test scripting
language since the method is light on project documentation. If XP
methodology is really being used, there should be acceptance tests written
for each piece of code before it is written (or at least immediately after).
These acceptance tests interact with the application exactly like a user
would, so they are to me the best possible reference for writing user
manuals.

I'm sure that some who have tried XP do not like it (different strokes for
different folks), but most I have heard negative comments from have never
been a part of the process. I think it is great, and results in a really
user-friendly application and an enjoyable work environment.

-Carl