Re: Instruction Manual Help Request

Subject: Re: Instruction Manual Help Request
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

> I have been asked to write an Instruction Manual for a
> web-based customer service management type system. I
> have been asked, because no one else has time and I
> seemed like a good canidate. I have no formal training
> in tech writing. I am wondering if anyone can direct
> me to a good resource for learning about writing
> step-by-step instructions for using software. The end
> product is going to be web-based with graphics showing
> various screens in the application. Where does one
> begin with this type of task?

David...I don't know how to address this question without you or
others taking offense, and I honestly don't mean it that way to
you...you are only the messenger. However, what your message is
showing is becoming a widespread problem in this business and I'd
like to discuss it. If you're up to it and have a thick skin, I think
we can all learn something.

What you are attempting is not TW101. To document any application
takes experience and to document a web application more so because
there are many variables...the way things work are dependant on
factors not easily identified or tied down.

Yet, there are many people on this list who do what you are
attempting as their bread and butter and do it every day and have
done so for years. However, simply because it is a complex
undertaking, their rates usualy show the level of expertise needed.
The downside is that there are companies who think anyone making
$15/hr (I'm not saying you do, but it is typical) and a license to a
program can do the same thing, putting those who can not only do it,
but do it well, out of work.

You said a couple of things that I find interesting:
"> have been asked, because no one else has time and I
> seemed like a good can[d]idate. I have no formal training
> in tech writing.

What is it that made you a good candidate? Was it that those above
you think that what is needed is only the time to do it? I'd really
like to know what quality it was that they saw that made them think
that you could produce something that really does require extensive
training, if not formal, then years of trial and effort.

"> direct me to a good resource for learning about writing
> step-by-step instructions for using software. The end

It seems that there is the impression that all it takes to knowing
how to write an help application is to find a list of iinstructions
and by following those instructions, a help application come out the
other end. Is this the belief of the management that instructed you
to write the help application?

Don't get me wrong...if you are truly interested in learning how to
create Help, then we're all for it. However, mosty of us learned how
by working side by side (or under) with someone who does know how.

So, Richard...I hope you don't take offense with this, it truly is a
request for dialog, not a jab at your question. It seems that you
sincerely need and want assistance. Since it will be awhile before
you can pay us back with technical assistance, consider your input to
us on this topic as payment for our input to you from the list.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/30
Resume: http://www.tdandw.com/Resume_Posada_022202.doc