Re: Salaries

Subject: Re: Salaries
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:25:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Emma -dot- Cuthbert -at- wwa-sysmed -dot- com wrote:

> More generally, do any of you have any suggestions about how to discuss (or
> avoid?) salary in an interview?

Interviewer asks: So, what sort of salary are you looking for? (or some
variant)

You answer: What is the salary range for the position?

Either they answer (usually) or they try again. If they answer, and the range
is interesting to you, you say, "That fits in with my expectations," or
something equally appropriate, and the interview moves on.

If the salary doesn't fit with your needs or expectations, you can make a
frowny face or otherwise squinch up your features (or not <g>), and tell them
that they don't meet your needs, but perhaps they have other compensations they
could explain to you. This approach assumes you are interested.

If they don't give you a range and continue to ask what you want, you can say
something like, "I really need to know more particulars about the position's
responsibilities and opportunities before I can give you an answer," or
something like that. Make it natural.

You will notice that what I'm trying to do is avoid mentioning money first. I
believe that in any negotiation, whoever mentions money first loses the
initiative in the negotiation...and may in fact lose the opportunity
altogether. This can happen whether the figure you name is too high OR too low.
Too high, and you've priced yourself out of the interview for a job you might
take at a lower number. Too low, and they think you're not really what they're
looking for because you don't understand the market or position or lack
experience.

Sorry that I can't help you with UK specific salary information, but I'm sure
someone on the list will be able to help.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 03/14/02
--If the U.S. is such a horrible country, why is is we get asked to solve everyone else's problems?--(me)

http://taxes.yahoo.com/