Re: Goodbye TECHWR-L

Subject: Re: Goodbye TECHWR-L
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:57:44 +0200

> When I first joined this list, I too was so sure of my opinions about
> everything from Documentation Methodology to Project Methodology to Fonts,
and
> I freely shared my opinions in the belief that the world, and particularly
world
> as I saw it. Not only did I give my opinions, but I also entered into the
> debates and vigorously defended the RIGHT against the forces of ignorance
and
> evil.

I subscribe to lists on one or two other topics, and for some reason this
seems to be a common feature of lists, much more so than for most of the
newsgroups I participate in. There is a list (on playing French horn) where
there is one person (a senior professional horn player) who is so
opinionated, humorless and dismissive of other people that I've actually
killfiled him, the only time I've ever felt it appropriate to take that
step. By comparison, none of the unpleasentless here has even really
registed on me, I just ignore it and look for the useful information. Mind
you, that would be easier if we could improve the signal to noise ratio a
bit!

I have a simple principle. I have opinions, and if I'm wrong about one of
them, I want to hear about it so I can change my mind and be right. That
way, I'm right more of the time. Works for me.

Regards
Jonathan West