Re: For the Sake of Newbies

Subject: Re: For the Sake of Newbies
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:33:30 -0700

Hi, Thom! Thanks for your response! You're another list member I enjoy
reading. You said:

I don't intend to annoy you, but there is something you should understand
about this list. While other members may not hold any censorial ability, Mr.
Ray does indeed censor the opinions expressed on the list.

JCC: I'm not annoyed by that statement. :-)

I have had perfectly studious and non-attacking responses bounced repeatedly
because of purely technical issues. Strangely enough, moments later the
same, supposedly infringing response from a different poster was allowed,
with Mr. Ray's excuse being "well, I can't monitor EVERYTHING".
JCC: I guess that's an issue between you and Eric. Probably better discussed
over the phone versus via e-mail, because hearing a person's voice often
better resolves a conflict. Once during 2000, I got a "knuckle-rap" e-mail
from Eric, and it surprised me. I had no idea my post was off base. I sought
clarification, got it, and didn't take it personally. So far, he hasn't had
to rap my knuckles again. (Trembling in fear, lest he get me today! <vbg>)
On more than one occasion, when I have attempted to post a response that
challenged Mr. Plato's derision of another list member, my response was
refused as a "personal attack" because it took issue with HOW Andrew spoke,
instead of WHAT he said. If Mr. Plato was free to demean and insult, while
others are not equally free to challenge that denigration, there is no free
speech. This has been enforced time and again by Mr. Ray, both privately and
publicly, including his latest public opining on my single-word applause for
Andrew's leaving.
JCC: If it were me, I would have taken the discussion off list,
corresponding with only Eric and Andrew. And, I would have asked Eric if we
could discuss it over the phone. E-mail, for me, doesn't help resolve
conflict. I haven't see the posts from you or from Andrew that fall into the
"who's free to speak" situation you mention above, so I can't really
comment. I just know what I would have done if I were in a similar
situation.
analytical conclusions, I rarely post to the list, and only reply with help
and advice off-line. Not surprisingly, I too don't have time for "this
crap". I do, however, make the time to help others, even if that help does
not meet the approval of Big Brother Mr. Ray.
JCC: It's wonderful, Thom, that you help people. That's the main value of
Thom!" responses to your helpful messages, then that's terrific!

I, for one, welcome the future when people can post questions and responses
without fear of being insulted and hounded into a corner, out of the glaring
light of Mr. Plato's imagined brilliance.
JCC: Again, I see your comments not as a "free speech issue" but as a
personal issue between you and Eric to be resolved in some manner other than
via e-mail. I receive value from both you and Eric, so I sincerely hope the
two of you can work through your differences. The list benefits from you
both!
Thom Randolph

Jenise Cook-Crabbe, x. 8385
Sr. Technical Writer