diagrams

Subject: diagrams
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:48:27 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm using MS Visio to create a very complex system map diagram consisting of
both a technical and functional overview. Until now, I haven't really
applied a whole lot of thought or planning to creating diagrams and by using
the typical Jennifer approach (jump in, eyes closed, thoughts of success and
perhaps even learning a thing or two) I've been able to get by with the few
insignifcant diagrams I've been asked to make. I am aware that there are
'rules' and schools of thought behind creating certain types of diagrams,
but until now I hadn't actually been asked to document anything that
required diagrams of much complexity.

However, the concepts behind the software I'm documenting now is more
complex than anything I've ever documented, and I think it's high time I
took a more organised and responsible approach to diagrams as I know there
are likely volumes written on the subject.

Can anyone recommend a few good resources to use as a starting point? Books
and URLs are appreciated, thanks.

Jennifer Maitland
Technical Author
KWI