RE: Directions for tomorrow's techwriting

Subject: RE: Directions for tomorrow's techwriting
From: "Rebecca Downey" <rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:47:25 -0400

Hi Phil.

No - Yes I do think XML will soon make it easy for engineers to just fill in
the blanks, but I disagree this would thus eliminate the need for most tech
writers, and here's why:

I work in a very small group (we're down to 11 people, 8 of which are
programmers).

I daily correct English errors in messages, GUI and elsewhere. While the
errors are often caught by others - I do the actual correction. Even if
others *think* they can do this, and I do take suggestions from my
co-workers, often their suggestions aren't quite right.

I also write all the end-user documentation. The closer I am to the
planning, organization and implementation of the product, the better that
end-user documentation becomes. If the programmers could write flawlessly,
I'd still end up looking over their work and modifying it (as necessary) to
fit the needs of the end-user documentation.

End-user documentation, by the way, is my term for any document a user
*could* see. This includes, but is not limited to: User Guides, Installation
Guides, Tutorials, Case Studies, FAQs, etc.

So why would I try to edit a programmer's flawless English error messages?
Simple. No matter how perfect anyone is - someone should always look over
their work. Mistakes happen, especially in rushed, deadline-pressed shops.
Like mine. Sometimes I feel like I've added as many errors to the process as
I have corrected (although according to our bug-tracking software that's not
yet true...); but just as the programmers have code reviews, I conduct GUI
and document reviews (during which, btw, the SME's are welcome to correct
me!).

Before you ask - no, this will not make me more of an editor than a writer.
I can't concoct the error and log messages from thin air - as I need the
programmer to at least tell me the situation in which it occurs and how it
could be remedied by the user. So I need their input as a starting point. If
my editing and this process gives them more time to find more error/logging
situations, more time to work on their code (ect. ect.) I honestly believe
they'll do that rather than try to fill in all the blanks in the XML sheet.

And what if they do fill in all the blanks? Then I thank them for their
effort and review the heck out of their documentation work - just as they
are supposed to review the heck out of mine. In this shop, time is of the
essence.

Hope this answers your question.
Rebecca Downey Senior Technical Writer
ITG:NBM Matrox Electronic System