Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:18:37 +1000

Mike Starr wrote:

>> Would I get criticized by a typography purist because my font choices for
> my client's documents included the pedestrian Arial, Times New Roman and
> Courier New fonts?? Sure. Do I believe that these documents could be made
> marginally more readable by choosing different fonts?

I don't consider these "font choices" -- at least, not
important ones. The important choices are not the
names of the typefaces but how they are set up,
combined, and used in support of meaning and
hierarchy of content.

I don't know what a "typography purist" is, but
if his or her main concern is not the effective relation
of visual presentation to meaning, then it is of no
use to technical communications.

Good type use is an extension of editorial process,
not something applied after everything else is done, "if
there is time."

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia