Re: Font Selection Methodology (apology)

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology (apology)
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:45:11 -0400

At 1:17 PM -0500 4/23/02, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com quoted Stan Schwartz:

>Methinks your knowlege of typography is shallow.

Methinks your knowledge of me isn't deep enough to be measurable this side
of an electron microscope. But that doesn't stop anyone else on this list,
so please don't let it hold you back.

Well, in retrospect, my statement was uncalled for and I think it amounts to a slam for which I apologise. I truly regret the tone it implied.

I had only intended the remark to be a provocative prelude and I was wrong for using that approach in what I had hoped to be impersonal argument. In my defense, please allow me to revisit the quote, in context:

At 11:53 AM -0400 4/23/02, Stan Schwartz wrote:
Methinks your knowlege of typography is shallow. Mine was until I saw how someone who knew what they were doing redid my work. The transformation was stunning. I became a believer and I started looking into the issue and learned enough to value the contribution.

And while I'm at it, here's another opportunity to humble myself. In the same email:

At 1:17 PM -0500 4/23/02, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com quoted Stan Schwartz:
> I doubt if you (or anyone) can produce a
document with beautiful production values in 10 seconds as you claim
here. Leaving that red-herring aside...

Am I *really* having such a bad day that I can't write anything that anyone
understands? Look at that quote. I never said that. The worst I can twist
it into saying is that I can do it in days. What I said was I could pick
the font in 10 seconds. I didn't say that was the end of the project.

Guilty. I really blew that one. When I re-read your post, I realised how "off" my interpretation of your remark was. I have no defense. That was dumb.