To Barry (was: RE: Publish 400+ Excel Spreadsheets?)

Subject: To Barry (was: RE: Publish 400+ Excel Spreadsheets?)
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 8:56:33

Apologies to the list, but every time I try to send email to Barry
off-list, it claims he doesn't exist.

(If you use an alias, Barry, I think my server is choking on a missing
setting on your end...I forget the name of it, MX-something-or-other, I
think. On the flip side, your mailer daemon is amusingly polite: "Hi. This
is the qmail-send program at aux153.plano.net. I'm afraid I wasn't able to
deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error;
I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.")

------My original response re-forwarded:-------------------------
Ah, there is a desire to print the entire set at once? Hmmm. Given the
volume of pages, it would take time for them to print, regardless of
mechanism, so I assume such an action would not be performed lightly.
Perhaps a script (VB?) tied to a button on the HTML page could perform a
print file on all filenames linked to the page? That way, the person can
also print only selected files if they need to (by printing from within the
individual files).

The privileges will more likely be on the individual Excel "source" files
-- the user of the web interface should have access to all the docs,
through whatever means they would have access without the interface.

So, if I understand your requirements correctly, This is a summary of what
you are designing:
-- It is a sort of "manager's interface", from which an authorized user can
view the current version of individual ("source") docs, edit those docs if
necessary, and print them individually or collectively, at his or her
discretion.
-- Individual users will continue to edit/update the individual source docs
directly, using Excel.
-- If access to the "manager's interface" needs to be restricted, that can
be done by either placing the HTML file in a protected location (e.g.,
limited-access drive or folder), or somehow password-protecting the file
(probably overkill, unless the HTML file is hooked into the company's
intranet).
-- If access to individual source docs needs to be restricted, it can be
done on a file-by-file basis, through wither drive permissions or either
write-protection or password-protection within the Excel file itself.

Sounds like an interesting project! Good luck! :)
Shauna