RE: lurkers and lurking

Subject: RE: lurkers and lurking
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:15:54 +0100

>>You know, a couple of things come to mind in reading this particular
strand of
this thread. One thought is that you can teach skills, but you can't teach
attitude.<<

Actually I think you can teach attitude. It's just it's much more difficult
than teaching skills. <g>

Teaching someone to have a good attitude could involve rewarding them for
things they do that exemplify "having a good attitude" (the "reward" could
be no more and no less than saying publicly "Thanks very much for your hard
work, without you the project wouldn't have been a success"), setting an
example of a good attitude yourself, letting praise be public and making
sure that criticism is both constructive and private... plus having senior
management all the way up to the top who also reward people for having a
good attitude, praise publicly, criticise privately.

Teaching someone to have a bad attitude... well, I think we've all seen
*that* process. <g> see <www.dilbert.com>

>>It also occurs to me that if I were applying for a job in another country,
would do research to find out how one constructs one's application documents
(CV, resume, marketing flier, etc.) before I made application, and I
wouldn't
be critical of how it was done simply because it isn't how we do it here
(wherever here is).<<

Hear hear...

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small PHB. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine
alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.