Of Terms and 'Tudes

Subject: Of Terms and 'Tudes
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

Welcome to historical linguistics 101, dichronic analysis of language change in progress. Methinks my historical linguistics professor would be happy to know I can still fling around those terms and know what they mean. :-) Methinks the recent trend of using the morpheme "methinks" indicates a generalized shift towards cutsy-stuffy lexical expansionism. It's well documented in all the journals...............well, maybe not. But seriously, the whole methinks thing is a perfect example of how words spread through a language and how vocabularies can shift not only from generation to generation, but within one's own lifetime. :-) Who knows, maybe methinks will become a permanent part of this group's lexicon. The usage could bleed out into the tech writing field in general. Before you know it, we could be flinging around middle english in our documents!!!

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com