"Guide" vs. "Guidelines"

Subject: "Guide" vs. "Guidelines"
From: Joe <jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:10:14 -0400

Hi all,

I hate to bring up such a triviality, but suddenly it's become...a deal. After searching the archives, I still can't come up with a succinct distinction between guide and guidelines. Problem: the team I work for is putting together standards (which they understand as methodology-driven rules of practice) and guidelines. But what are these guidelines? They are documents that guide a developer into how to implement best practices in a specific area, such as WebObjects or Carbon.
My confusion: mixing socalled best practices with procedures creates a Frankensteinish conglomeration. I am looking for help in how to create a distinction between these two concepts. Any thoughts?
You can also write me at
jsokohl -at- gmx -dot- net (I won't have access to mac.com today, and i could really use some help quickly).
Thanks,
joe
Joe Sokohl
Sokohl & Associates
Helping create digital solutions for real people
Technical writing, information architecture, and usability consulting
www.sokohl.com
www.cafepress.com/hcistuff (for fun)
+1-804-355-7227
+1-804-873-6964 (mobile)