RE: converting RoboHelp project to D2H

Subject: RE: converting RoboHelp project to D2H
From: "Miller, Alan" <Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:08:16 -0400

Hi Ilona:

Before I answer your questions (I hope), I have one of my own. Why do you want to convert the project? It would involve a lot of work and, very likely, aggravation. Now for your questions.

I know of no simple (i.e., automated) method to convert a RoboHelp project into a Doc-to-Help project. Going the other way is easy. Just open the D2H project in RoboHelp. Unfortunately, once done, the project will not open in D2H.

Congratulations. You've just discovered the difference between RoboHelp HTML and Doc-to-Help. RoboHelp has its own HTML editor. D2H uses MS Word and converts a doc file to a rtf, then to an htm (actually, several... one for each topic). The RoboHelp HTML editor is adequate, but limited.

Copying the contents of the individual htm files into a Word doc is possible (and probably the only sure way to "convert" the project to Doc-to-Help), but very tedious. So, back to my question. Why bother? Unless you have some overarching reason for this, why not just make you edits in the htm files and compile a new chm? If it's because you do not have RoboHelp, you don't need it. You already have everything you need to edit the project. Open the project in the HTML Help Workshop (it came with your copy of Doc-to-Help). You can then edit any of the htm files (and, if necessary, the css, too) and recompile the chm. Just be careful, the editor in the workshop is not wysiwyg. The online help is pretty good, though.

You might want to read Steve Wexler's _The Official Microsoft HTML Help Authoring Kit_ from Microsoft Press.

HTH

Al Miller
"Chief Documentation Curmudgeon"
Prometric, Inc.