re Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: re Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:50:23 +0200

Bonnie writes:
> A friend has suggested I send 200 or more
> e-mails containing my resume to companies
> as part of my job search. I am not sure why,
> but I have resisted this idea in the past,
> thinking it was something that would not be
> appreciated by the recipients.

Let's see. What wouldn't they appreciate?

They wouldn't appreciate being bothered if
reading resumes isn't their job. So I hope,
if the 200 addresses are from your friend, that
they are addresses like hr -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- and jobs -at- -dot- -dot- -dot-
and careers -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- etc. If they're stan -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- and
madge -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- and stu -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- then maybe you should
check the companies' websites and get guaranteed
HR department addresses.

(As you check websites, you will find that
some companies do actively encourage people
to send resumes even if specific compatible
jobs aren't currently listed.)

They wouldn't appreciate being bothered if
later you're going to tell them you don't want
to work for them anyway because you hate their
products or their ecological practices or whatever.
So eliminate out any such companies from your list.

And they wouldn't appreciate being bothered by
anyone who lacks the qualifications they feel
entitled to expect. I have no telecommunications
experience, for example, so I don't send my
resume unsolicited to telecommunications companies.
If I did, I'd make sure it was not with an "I can
solve all your problems tomorrow" cover letter but
with an "I'm a hard worker and a fast learner"
cover letter.

I'm not so shy about answering a company that has
explicitly advertised for a writer; but if I'm
asking a company to listen to a pitch at my own
initiative, I want to minimize the chance that
I'll need to fold my sample case up prematurely
and apologize for wasting their time.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il