Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: Re: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 14:34:50 -0400

johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com wrote:

> Two points:
>
> 1. Dick wrote: "...We tell our customers exactly what server versions,
> database versions, and browser versions we test against, ...
>
> We do the same ... Lately, though, we've introduced
> Web-based training, and are running into problems because the people taking
> the training don't automatically use IE. They have to install it, and
> sometimes they get flustered an irritated. Not sure whether we will
> eventually accomodate other browsers, since the training is on someone
> else' platform.

Use standard HTML and it should work with any browser.

Have a look at the Campaign for a non-browser-specific Web:
http://www.anybrowser.org/

Also consider tools from w3c.org, to test HTML for standards compliance.
There's an HTML verfier, an HTMLtidy utility, and a browser/editor named
Amaya that fixes various oddities in anything you edit. All are free.

Also consider testing with Bobby to see if your stuff is accessible
to various sorts of disabled folk.