RE: Is tech writing for me?

Subject: RE: Is tech writing for me?
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:47:21 +1000

Keith,

Good question.

(a) do you enjoy writing.

(b) do you enjoy explaining how something works to people who have a low
base knowledge.

With your other aptitudes and skills, and do you enjoy telling people they
could use one word where three have been used, you should be a perfect mould
from which a technical writer can form.

Learning the tools of this trade DOES take time, however some employers will
allow you to develop this skill with experience using them, however most
expect you to possess this skill be fore starting. Do not think it is just
about creating a document, creating styles and templates is VERY important
as well.

(c) can you compose a structure on paper for a document. This is important
to give you as starting point. You will soon discover that no matter how
helpful the book of guidelines you are using is, that being able to make
decisions on structure and confidently "argue" them is important.

(d) Are you willing to become cynical and bitter and twisted and cuddle up
to the dictionary like it is a puppy....if so you are already a technical
writer.

(e) best of luck!

(f) as for trial pieces. mmmmmm....start in an area you know. Document that
address database you did (with your technical skills I am sure you must have
made something as a hobby-toy!) - then put it in a drawer for two weeks.
After the two weeks pull it out - and edit it to death.......rewrite it,
taking out all the technical jargon, and then let someone you know try and
use it to run the "address database"....observe how they go, and use this
experience as a basis. Personally I always found that if I wanted to write,
before I became a technical writer, there were plenty of opportunities in
all my workplaces - just say - "I'll write up procedures for the backup", or
"I write up how to do that so Barney, the big new purple guy can know how to
find that file/document/database/iguana".

(g) see (e)

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Is tech writing for me?

Hi, folks, nice list you have here!

I've been thinking about technical writing as a profession, and I have many,
many questions. However, most of these I'm sure I can get answered through
books, newsgroups, lists, etc. One question that won't be answered that way
is whether I'll be good at it, and enjoy the work.

I'm curious about doing something like this (and maybe folks on this list
have a better idea) to get a good feel for how I would like technical
writing, and how well I could actually write. I did see the mentorship
program on the web site, but I feel like I'm at a stage prior to any
mentorship.
Thanks for any and all help!
Keith C.