Re: keeping writing samples for a portfolio

Subject: Re: keeping writing samples for a portfolio
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:11:08 -0700

When you go into a job, you can ask for a copy of every document that you write. Make sure you have this in writing; some separation agreements require that ALL company documents be returned to the company. Even though the online help is for internal use only, a copy of it could demonstrate how you organize and link topics.

sue ellen

At 5:01 PM -0700 5/1/02, Rosemary J Horner wrote:

I'm not planning to leave my current position any time soon, but I think
I've learned that it's a good idea to keep samples of work just in case
something unexpected happens. What I'm not sure of is this: because the help
I'm writing is for applications that no-one outside this company has access
to, and because it's online help and therefore somewhat context-sensitive,
how can I keep samples that would be meaningful to a potential employer?
They could check it over for grammar and style, but not for accuracy,
completeness, clarity or general usefulness.

Anyone have advice on putting together a useful portfolio in this situation?

Thanks,
Rosemary