Re: Structure for GUI & Command Line Input Doc

Subject: Re: Structure for GUI & Command Line Input Doc
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 09:17:19 -0300

CB Casper wrote:

I am contemplating combining these two chapters
to emphasize the commands and actions rather than
the means to accomplish the task. I want to focus
on what the user is trying to do, rather than how
they accomplish it.

I was in much the same position when I did a Linux manual. Although there were some chapters to orient users to the desktop and command line, most of the manual was organized by tasks.
This was how I organized sections: First, the top level heading,would explain any concepts or background necessary for the task. For example, under "Changing Permissions," I would explain what permissions were and why and how to use them.

Then I would have detailed procedures, such as "Changing permissions from the command line" and "Changing permissions from the desktop" beneath that.

Users seemed pretty pleased with the organization. However, you can judge for yourself at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/.

"'What happened to the Spaniards
That made so great a boast-o?
They shall eat the feathered goose quill,
We shall eat the roast-o."
- Traditional, Halston Furey Dance