RE: Word TOCs from multiple docs ?

Subject: RE: Word TOCs from multiple docs ?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 19:01:03 +0100

> Does anyone know if Word (97) can create a TOC in one document
> from headings
> in its own and other documents?

Yes :-)

> My new company likes to save each section/chapter of a book in a separate
> file and at the moment the master TOC is compiled by hand.
> Normally I would
> just compile all of the sections into one file then run the TOC but, for
> whatever reason, this is 'not encouraged'.
>
> I can find no method of accessing other docs from the doc with
> the TOC but,
> maybe one of you knows a nifty switch or something that will
> allow this. I'm
> afraid that the info I have found in the archives doesn't cover
> this problem
> so I hope someone can help.

Look in the Word help for "RD field". RD is short for Referenced Document.
What you do is put the TOC into a separate docuement and add an RD field for
each of the additional documents whose headings you want to include in the
ToC.

The same trick can be done for a consolidated index.

Regards
Jonathan West