Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?

Subject: Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 14:11:11 -0400

SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com wrote:

> I'd like to second this comment! Prompted by discussions on this list, I
> did a brief Google search on my name, ...
>
> ...It makes me wonder two things: (1) how many prospective employers think
> of searching for a name on the Web as part of a background check, and (2)
> whether those employers take into account that more than one person can
> have the same name, and it's not always easy to identify which is which.

Not just employers, either.

I no longer have the URL, but I recently saw an article on Googling as
an aide to courtship. The examples in the article were weird, mostly
women who'd meet a guy in a bar, give him their number, then go home
and Google him. His chances of a date went up if Google showed he
owned a company or some such. However, I suspect it is done by both
genders and often with more honest motives.

Need a security clearance for your next contract? Will the .gov folks
do a web search while investigating you?