Newbie Needs Help: Some URLs

Subject: Newbie Needs Help: Some URLs
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:45:52 -0500

Okay, okay. I will regurgitate some of my precious URLs in what is hopefully
a more useful answer:

XML

http://www.xml.com -- Scroll down to the Essentials section on the left for
great intro material to XML.

Cisco Routers

http://www.cisco.com -- Go to the Service and Support section for links to
the documentation

Java

http://java.sun.com/ -- Tutorials, docs, newsgroups galore.

However, there is a virtual TON of info about all of these topics on the
web. If you are just getting started, and are not familiar with any of
these technologies, you should go to a search engine and discover the
resources. My favorite resources may not be what you are looking for. You
might discover something that would be more helpful to your situation.

Additionally, libraries and bookstores have OODLES of books on these
subjects. Spend a day there leafing through them until you find one that
clicks, they buy it (or check it out).

Finally, if you are truely interested, check out a local college or
university. You would be hard-pressed to find one that did NOT offer a
class on one of these subjects.

And, I would recommend using the resourcecs in this order (web, book,
class). Most of the info on the web is free, so you can determine if you
are really interested or just subject to a passing whim. The URLs above are
a good starting point.

Books will cost you (well, not library books, unless you do not return them
on time), but the expense is minimal. Cisco Press books seem pricey, but
not when you compare it to a CNA class.

Finally, if you discover the burning desire to learn these technologies,
take a class. It will cost more, but will be worth it.

Jaosn

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr