RE: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing

Subject: RE: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:15:23 +0100

>Does anybody else on the list use a programming or scripting language in
>their work? If so, which one? And what sort of tasks do you use them for?

Word VBA, when and as required, for doing largescale repetitive tasks on a
regular basis. (My current job does not require this, but I have worked on
largescale doc projects that did.)

I used to mess around with Basic, but I haven't for a while. I am not a
particularly good programmer - when I did mess around with it, it was
usually tweaking other people's games to make them more amusing. <ggg> In my
current job I proofread Javadocs, which entails reading my way through a
whole lot of Java - but I wouldn't say I *use* Java. I just occasionally
spot spelling/continuity mistakes in other people's code, which I gleefully
fix (or politely point out to the owner so that s/he can fix). Tweaking
other people's games is not encouraged. <g>

My degree is in Computing, and therefore technically I have qualifications
in C and COBOL, but practically speaking I would run a mile from any job
that required "knowledge of C/C++". (I liked COBOL, but have never used it
since I graduated.) But C/C++ is a twisted and evil language... our lecturer
used to come in at the start of a session, write a brief line of C on the
whiteboard, and invite us to write it down and tell him what it did next
week. I remain astonished that I actually managed to pass that part of the
course. <shudder>

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small program. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine
alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr