Re: Missing CD Drives

Subject: Re: Missing CD Drives
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:41:43 +0200

- first thing to troubleshoot: is this a hardware/BIOS problem or is it an OS problem? when your machine boots, the BIOS should
"see" the drives. It should report their presence and how they are physically connected (see below) on the screen (may flit by
rather quickly, keep an eye) before Windows starts loading.

- is this IDE or SCSI? Your CDW drive may have to be on the master connection, obviously your hard drive goes on the other
master, and you put the CDR on one of the IDE slaves. Check the install doc for your drive or look on the manufacturer's web
site.

- what version of Nero are you running? Older versions don't work with W2K unless you download an additional DLL (I think, or
some extra file).

- older versions of Nero don't recognise newer CDWs. There's no config file you can get to update this, but you can upgrade your
old 4.8? Nero to about 5.something using patches which are a free download from Nero's site.

- Obviously you need the right drivers, but it's not always that simple. Search the CDRW manufacturers' websites for compatility
issues, bugs, updates, drivers, firmware updates, etc.

BTW, I've learned from experience that it's a good idea to check a manufacturer's web product support before buying. It's
happened to me that I've saved a few Kroner buying a "noname" product, only to find in a moment of need that there were no
driver updates, bugfixes, etc.

Hope this helps,

John Cornellier
Senior Technical Writer
Schlumberger Stavanger Technology Center

"Rowlands, Gareth" <Rowlands_Gareth -at- cdph -dot- org> wrote:
>My machine no longer recognizes
>that there are two CD drives living in it. On boot up, the drive lights
>flash briefly, showing that the connections are fine, but they're not picked
>up by the OS (Win2K Pro). The trouble started, I think, when I switched
>from Easy CD Creator to Nero ROM

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr