Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools

Subject: Re: REquest for advice on Workflow & Tools
From: Joe <jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 07:10:14 -0400

Thanks for the input. The issue of page design isn't really an issue--I'm working on document design, and we'll agree on the template before implementation of the workflow. Cooperation and respect levels are high in this project.

What I meant by "non-approved changes" is simply that a Word user can open a version of the document, save it as filename whatever.doc, and make changes to it. Yes, it's true, that would violate any agreed-to workflow...and yes, it could happen even in a Frame/Word heterogeneous environment. But I wonder if quality of documents, usability of documents, and increased effectiveness of process would be better either
* Moving to FM
* Staying in Word

I forgot other issues: They embed (not link) PowerPoint slides and Visio diagrams from time to time....

joe
Joe Sokohl
Sokohl & Associates
----------------------------
Helping create digital solutions for real people
Technical writing, information architecture, and usability consulting
----------------------------
www.sokohl.com
www.cafepress.com/hcistuff (for fun)
+1-804-355-7227
+1-804-873-6964 (mobile)

Elna Tymes wrote:

However you're likely to have your 'architects' want in on approvals of
the page design, too. One way to handle that might be, after you edit
the finals for content and import into Framemaker, to send out a PDF of
the document for the architects' approval, thereby switching your 4th
and 5th steps and giving them a final look at content AND design.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "non-approved changes" in your
negatives about Word. If you lock your Master file, you can compare any
incoming changed versions against your Master without committing to any
of the changes until you decide. A simple descriptive naming scheme
lets you keep track of which version and which author you're looking at.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr