RE: recent unusual interview experiences

Subject: RE: recent unusual interview experiences
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

It seems to me that we're confusing difficult interviews with abusive
interviews or clients.

I don't see anything wrong with an interviewer, or even a team of them, who ask
difficult questions that are technical, professional, or work-related. If
interviewers are getting more savvy (and, frankly, I have not noticed that),
more power to 'em. I agree that it is a reflection on the state of the job
market. Sure it's a pain to have to actually demonstrate your knowledge or
skills in some way, but it's a buyer's market at the moment, not a seller's
market (more's the pity). I wouldn't walk out of an interview unless they
crossed a moral or ethical line.

But there are some lines that should not be crossed, as several posters have
illustrated with examples. If you are being treated to sexual abuse in a job
interview, I don't even want to imagine what the work environment will be like.

But an interview where the interviewer(s) are confrontational, ask leading
questions, and attempt to allow the candidate to screw up seem to me to be
within acceptable norms. I think it's fair to assess how you handle pressure,
confrontational coworkers, and difficult questions.

As I said at the beginning, let's not confuse the two. They're not the same.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/14/02
--The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.--

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr