Re: Just a Tech Writer (medium length)

Subject: Re: Just a Tech Writer (medium length)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:19:03 -0600

Victoria bemoaned:
> The realization that after many years of being a technical writer, albeit a
> good one with a variety of experience including desigining and developing
> web-based help systems, I'm still "just a tech writer" hit me like a smack
> in the face today.
> Silly me, I thought that the flexibility and diversity of my participation
> would provide me with some additional credentials.

Victoria, it DOES provide you with credentials: bullets on your resume,
for example!

Many companies require that you wear a variety of hats, and that everybody
pitch in where they can. If you tried to fit everything most of us do into
one job title, they'd have to start making bigger business cards. Worry
less about what you're called, and concentrate on what you actually DO.

With your credentials you could apply for a variety of jobs, with
experience (if not a title) to back it up. I always put a title on my
resume itself, in addition to the various titles I list in the Employment
History section. Going for a QA job? Put that in the title on your resume.
The title on my resume always tends to coincide very closely with the
title of the job opening for which I'm applying: Keith Cronin - Executive
Janitor (or whatever)

>From what your message listed, it sounds like you are a very valuable
employee, making a significant contribution to your company. That is NOT
something to feel bad about. And if your company is smart, they'll
recognize your contribution and reward you proportionately. Maybe they
already do. Good luck.

Keith Cronin

I'm not JUST an alcoholic!

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr