Re: Document Size and Page Numbers

Subject: Re: Document Size and Page Numbers
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 13:28:30 +0200

>I'm currently working on a user doc that started fairly small but is
>growing rapidly. At what point should I change from using continuous page
>numbering to chapter-specific page numbering (e.g., 4-2)?

Never. The larger the document, the more difficult it is to use with
chapter-specific numbering: If you have a thousand-page document, you
know fairly well where page 583 is. But where is page 11-17?

IMHO, chapter-specific numbering is a holdover from the days where we
didn't have automatic page numbering. It made it easier to make small
revisions in large documents, as you had to renumber only a few pages up
to the start of the next chapter, not everything up to the end of the
document.

So, it made things easier for the publisher but not for the reader. Since
page renumbering is no longer an issue - with FrameMaker even handling
cross-references automatically - chapter-specific numbering seems obsolete.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l