FWD: Open Office experience out there?

Subject: FWD: Open Office experience out there?
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:49:05 -0600 (MDT)

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

My company's in the process of considering a switch from Microsoft Office to
Open Office software. I've been asked to work out the conversion process
from MS Word to the OO word processor. This is, on the face of it, nothing
but good news: 1. We're no longer paying our tithe to Micro$oft. 2. I get to
learn a new set of tools. 3. We use open source software for a lot of
things, why not for producing our documentation suite, too?

At a quick glance, there are a few problems, but converting a whole doc
suite obviously multiplies them. However, that's not in itself the problem.
I've joined the open office mailing list for oo users, but a quick scan
through their archives gives me some nagging worries about the switch.

I'm the only MS Word power user in my office. No one else is likely to
discover things that MS Word can do that the OO word processor can't do. I
haven't (yet) discovered any contributions on the open office mailing list
from someone using the OO word processor to create a full documentation
suite. If anyone else on the list has already had some experience in doing
this, good or bad, I would be interested to hear about their experience.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l