RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:15:30 -0500

> Well it's about time this topic reared its head again :)

Heh.

I think the idea that "experienced" writers should _not_ be tested, _simply_
because they have "experience," is absurd. "Experience" (with respect to
technical writing) is subjective, IMHO: working as a technical writer for a
few years now, I've worked with people whose experience has been of
tremendous assistance and was commensurate with a high level of job
expertise. OTOH, I've also worked with people whose experience did NOT
correspond to a high level of technical skill or job expertise.

My point is that experience really ought to be tested, to characterize it.
Just saying that you have experience means nothing. I mean, there are such
things as BAD experience, no? :)

I also don't understand the notion of writers being insulted by writing
tests (though I agree this seems to be the case.) If you've got the skillz,
show 'em off. If a writer truly is insulted by the idea, then IMHO either
A. that writer doesn't have the skills, or B. the writer _does_ have the
skills and can afford to blow off potential employers requiring such
testing.

I like Connie's approach and believe that such a test would be a GREAT way
to characterize a potential employee's experience:

> I typically present an introductory, or fairly simple UI that's
> already been documented and ask the candidate to do so, with some
> background on typical users, power users, etc. No time limits, no limits
on
> questions that can be asked of me, no limits on how to structure the
document.

Basic stuff. What technical writer would be insulted by such a screening
test? If I go buy a new car, I test drive it first. I don't just look at
the sticker and features and decide on the basis of that alone.

-Chris Grant

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l