Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?

Subject: Re: FWD: Open Office experience out there?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:37:15 -0300

John Posada wrote:

Overall, OO is at least equal to MS Word, and in many ways seems
superior to it.

This like saying that a technical writer "seems" able to do the
job...

Sorry - I should have made it clear that I'm talking strictly about features.

I used "seems" because with programs that have as many features as MS Word and Open Office, a point by point comparison is impossible. Frankly, I wanted to weasel.

I know I've created large documents; my largest was 5 volumes,
cross-referenced, totaling close to 1,000 pages. Has anyone with OO
actualy done something comparable?
I don't know. Considering that version 1.0 was only released a couple of weeks ago, nobody has had the chance to write something that long.

You may remember that I asked to borrow some complex MS Word documents last week. I'm still playing with them in OO for a review I'm hoping to do, but I have combined them into a master document of about 350 pages. I'm still playing about, and haven't investigated cross-references or index markers yet. However, first impressins are promising. Scrolling is speedier than under MS Word, and there's been no corruption of documents.

"I could be the story of the man who rode high and fell hard, and had his spirit broken and crawled off into a hole like a dog, to die as soon as he could manage it. Or I could be the story of a man who rode high and fell hard, and then got up defiant and walked away in a new direction. Someone who never looked back, someone who never gave the mob any satisfaction. And that's the story I'm going to make them all eat."
- Kim Stanley Robinson, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l