RE: Job Hunting Stories

Subject: RE: Job Hunting Stories
From: Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:04:12 -0700

Here's another late reply from a digest subscriber. It's told from The
Other Side--that of the interviewer. I couldn't resist sharing it.

Many years ago in a large software company in Redmond (where I worked as a
contractor), I sat in on an interview for a writer/indexer. This guy was so
slick I could see the oil drip. He had a Pez stick (remember Pez?)
strategically placed in his shirt pocket. The woman in charge of the
interview couldn't take her eyes off that Pez thingy, and finally broke
down and asked about it. "Broke down" is the operative phrase, since it
shifted control of the interview away from her, to him. It succeeded in
taking her mind off his qualifications and focused on his "people skills"
instead. I never liked him and recommended against hiring him. I was in the
minority, however, and he was hired. There were 7 books to index, he was
only able to handle 2 of them in the 6 months he was there. I ran across
his resume later when he was applying for a different position, and saw
that he claimed to have indexed all seven.

My attitude toward Pez hasn't been the same since (sadly).

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"Old age isn't for sissies. If you want to enjoy old age, you have to work
at it."
--Edward Vandenberg, MD, geriatrician

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l