Re: how do you structure a temp-to-perm contract?

Subject: Re: how do you structure a temp-to-perm contract?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 17:37:04 -0400

Liza Boyd wrote:

> A small/medium start-up wants to take me on for 60
> days and then perhaps hire me FT. (For various
> reasons, they don't want to commit to a FT tech
> writer right now, even though they know essentially
> need one.)

> In the meantime, the specific deliverables are
> undefined. As the only tech writer, I will essentially
> function as if they'd hired me as a regular employee
> -- I will scope out their documentation needs, develop
> a documentation plan, start working on whatever pieces
> get the OK, and do whatever other tech writing needs
> come up in the meantime.
>
> => How would you structure the terms of this contract,
> where the deliverables are so unclear, so that both
> sides have clear and mutually satisfactory
> expectations about what work will be accomplished?

Before you present a contract, just discuss these issues with them,
candidly. The reality is that what is being proposed is not too much
different from a trial employment. Keeping this in mind:

I would figure about 1/3 more than your salary to cover tax overhead and
loss of benefits.

Payment should be weekly. Don't worry too much about the hours. Figure
about a normal work week of 55-60 hours so time in excess should be
additional billings. Remember as an employee you will be expected to
work more than 40 hours a week.
Don't fret about deliverables. YOu don't yet know exactly what you are
getting into and could be tempted to promise something that cannot be
done. You are being paid weekly and will be expected to act
professionally. If tight deadlines are looming, when aren't they,
prepare to meet them.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l