Good Formatting Practice

Subject: Good Formatting Practice
From: Frank Taylor <taylor_f -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:15:59 +0200

I would welcome opinions on the following:

In User's/Installation Guides etc., I do not indent the Headers.

I do indent the text (regular text as well as procedures etc.), usually to
3cm.

When inserting screen captures, diagrams and photographs, I 1) indent them
to 3cm, to be in line with the text.

Similarly, I left-justify their respective captions (indent to 3cm).

So we then have everything in a nice straight line and the reader's eye does
not have to do too much traveling.

Or 2), I center-justify them with the 3cm indent and do the same with their
captions.

Not so neat, but acceptable. As the insert is centered, so is the caption,
so the reader is not too bothered.

However, when I have large diagrams or photos, or even screen captures that
won't fit to this scheme, I am forced to use another format. Usually this is
center justified with no indent. What do I then do with their respective
captions?

Till now, when I know I have large inserts, I have used option 2), and for
the large inserts, have centered them with no indent and centered their

captions. I am not sure that it is the ideal solution. It just doesn't seem
to look right.

TIA

Regards

Frank

Frank Taylor
Tel: 09 774 0828
Fax: 09 771 1906
email: taylor_f -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
www.wordsmith.co.il

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l