training guide vs. user guide

Subject: training guide vs. user guide
From: "Writer Whirler" <a_whirler -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:39:14 -0500

I have been asked to write a training manual for our support department. I just checked the archives and I read the "training guide vs. user guide discussion" threads. I know the basic differences between the two.

The general assumption is that a training guide will be used by an instructor in a classroom-type setting. For our purposes, the support people will be on the phone with someone, learning about the new features of our application, with my guide in front of them. They know next-to-nothing nothing about the application (and neither do I, for that matter.) After the "training," my guide will be their only written reference about the new features and enhancements.

I can see the value in presenting information to support in more of a user-guide fashion, but I'm wondering if this is appropriate. I was told not to get too detailed, mostly because of time constraints (I have 13 modules to write about, and about 10 days to do it, and that includes weekends!)

I have more experience writing user guides (and, really, none in writing training guides...), and my brain seems to want to structure information primarily in the user guide format. Would I be doing more harm than good in going with my inclinations? Or should I try to learn a new skill ("How to Write Training Guides") despite my really, really tight deadline?

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

WW

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l