Re: Current job market for tech writers

Subject: Re: Current job market for tech writers
From: "Gary Clark" <Gary -at- wtw -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:57:23 -0700

> >>This is the state of the technical writing job market in
> Philadelphia, Baltimore, D.C., and Central Pennsylvania. There are a lot
of
> advertised technical writing positions in the D.C. area, but it seems like
> over 70% of these positions require a security clearance of some kind of
> another. <<
>

> But, that being said, if you have a security clearance and a tad of
experience, your options are still great in the DC Metro area. I was laid
off from one job in the beginning of May, and found a job in less than a
week. I basically got a pay raise and a paid two-week vacation by being
laid off AND by having that active security clearance and enough technical
know-how to get me in the door.

How wonderful!

Now, for those of us who don't like government, don't like government specs,
don't like living or working ANYWHERE near the government...

What the hell has happened to COMMERCIAL tech writing jobs, written for
COMMERCIAL companies, who make and sell COMMERCIAL products and where the
tech writing is to BEST COMMERCIAL PRACTICE?

Anybody got some ideas?

Gary Clark
Las Vegas

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l