Re: Tech writing job market

Subject: Re: Tech writing job market
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <santacroce -at- ca -dot- astound -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:26:28 -0700

I've just been through the job search maze, so please allow me to pass on my observations (you can check my résumé at the URL in my signature block to compare my skills and experience with yours).

At the end of March, 2001 I finished a one year contract at $75/hour in Silicon Valley. I got married in April, took a month off, and when I looked around...the market had evaporated. I had expected to be able to hire out at $85/hour (based on my skills, the March job market, and comparing rates with other writers). Reality check time! I was out of work for eight months. I finally landed a five month $70/hr contract in November and was back on the street in March.

I used the full range of internet job sites and selectively milked my contacts. For the first month, I had no return calls, and no interviews. In the past two weeks I had two calls (telephone interviews), both leading to face-to-face interviews. One call was through a contact, the other through monster.com. I just accepted a four month $65/hour contract beginning June 3 (from the monster.com lead).

I have not been working the job search as eagerly as I know I should have. I did not make cold calls, I did not tell everyone in the world I was looking, I did not say I would do any job, for any price. I did not go to many STC meetings, but did selectively meet with other contractors. I did turn down some $15/$25 an hour one-year jobs in the Sacramento market. I looked out of my immediate area, but did respond to job postings in the LA area which paid $35/$45 per hour.

My limited analysis is that the technical writing specific sites do not have a high yield. I think that is because if a hiring manager knows about the technical writing sites, they also know some technical writers who will either be interested in the jobs themselves, or can refer the manager to other technical writers. The managers who are no so familiar with our world seem to be posting/checking the more generic job sites. (Is this a good TECHWR-L survey question?)

I think what worked in my favor was that I was flexible, and had a killer portfolio that demonstrated a diverse background.

My .02

Marc A. Santacroce

Owner, Senior Technical Writer
ePubs, Inc.