Why is Acrobat 5 Doing This?

Subject: Why is Acrobat 5 Doing This?
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:57:13 -0500

I've been creating PDFs of my FrameMaker 6 books for the last year, most
recently using Acrobat 5.0. They are designed to have the bookmarks pane
open (and stay open) when the document is viewed in Acrobat or Acrobat
Reader. And up until last week, they have been this way.

Suddenly, Acrobat's left pane is disappearing when I click on a
bookmark. I have to click the Show Navigation Pane button to display it
again. When I click another bookmark, Poof! it disappears again. This
never used to happen, and for the life of me I can't figure out what
setting I've messed up to make it do this.

I generate my PDFs by using either the "Save as PDF" FrameMaker
function, or by printing to a postscript file and then distilling it.
Either technique results in this problem. I've poked around in Acrobat's
online help, consulted my copy of Classroom in a Book, looked at all the
Acrobat menus, to no avail.

I have the sneaking feeling this is ridiculously simple, but I just
can't find what controls this. Any advice would be more than welcome.
This is an annoyance, not a major problem, but it's driving me crazy.

Flummoxed,

Nancy E. Kaminski * Technical Writer
Spanlink Communications
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com
Phone (763) 971-2311 * Fax (763) 971-2300

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l