RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone

Subject: RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:37:05 -0400

Dick,
What motivation do the users that you describe have for learning
all those shortcuts?
I know the shortcuts in my bread-and-butter programs. In the
occasional programs, I'll futz around in the menus, use the
Insert menu and browse button to my heart's content, etc.
The different shortcuts available in different programs are just
jarring enough to introduce uncertainty and cognitive dissonance. I
have enough dissonance in my life, thank you.
You seem to be used to a big display with a readily available
desktop and lots of windows to drag and drop. Forget it. Everything
on my box opens full screen or I force it full screen (since
everything is full screen and I typically have 4 to 6 programs
loaded I love my Alt+Tab key combo).
My desktop is already an avalanche of program icons. Adding a doc
file to it means I'll never see that doc again (Well, almost never.)
(Also, the distinctions among Click, Alt+Click, Ctrl+Click and
Shift+Click remain above my level of competence and below my
threshold of interest.)

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l