RE: What do you like most about MS Word?

Subject: RE: What do you like most about MS Word?
From: HALL Bill <bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:09:23 +1000 (EST)

I'll be honest, I am very schizoid about Word. I try to do most of my
writing in pure text (e.g., e-mail), but all my real documents are still
written 100% in Word 97/2000 because that is the only thing I know people
have as a given.

I'm working on a hypertext book, and except for the odd crash (I'm not using
numbered paragraphs either), the hypertext works quite well (except if I
accidentally try to browse for a URL - which kills it dead). I am linking
between documents, within documents and to the Web all relatively
effortlessly, and the limited experiments I have done tell me that I can
preserve (or at least reset) the links in a PDF version, or get it into HTML
where I can clean out most of the cr*p that Word puts in.

Because I am aiming for a frameless web version I'm not doing anything fancy
with formatting, so Word behaves limits itself to the obligatory freezeup or
two a day without causing major corruption.

So far, on my Windows ME/Word 2000 environment at home recovery has also
always worked so I haven't lost significant amounts of work.

At work, on NT and Word 97 (same document!) I rarely crash (weeks apart).

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Strategy and Development Group
Tenix Defence
Nelson House, Nelson Place
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Australia
Tel: +61 3 9244 4820
+61 3 9244 4000 (Switch)
Mailto:bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com
----------------------------
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth